Monday, May 11, 2015

The Key to Receive

In grade school we learn about all the ridiculous rules in the English language. The most common one that we learn is taught to us in an almost cute yet taunting way. It goes something like this,

"-i- before -e-, except after -c-"

But even then, there are still exceptions! For this example, the rule is sufficient.

There is something unique about the word receive. It is to obtain, and to gain. When I think of receive, I think of Christmas. Many gifts and presents are received during the Christmas Season. When a gift is received it makes one happy. They feel joy and gratitude. But the secret to receive is actually found in the word itself.

Remember the rule about "-i- before -e-, except after -c-" and let's put some meaning behind those letters. -i- is "I" or me. -e- is everyone else. -c- is  for Christ. Now look at the spelling.

R-E-C-E-I-V-E

Christ comes first, before everyone and everything, and everyone else comes before "I" or me. That is how we receive. We receive when we put Christ and others first, and ourselves last. Once we do so we can receive joy and gratitude.


No comments:

Post a Comment